Monday, February 15, 2010

The Beginning of The Year of The Tiger
















I am new to blogging, so please bear with me because I am a shocker with technology. I can barely figure out how to use my mobile phone! So why I am doing this, you might ask. Well, it is simple. I have decided to write about my passion for food in the midst of planning to live abroad for a year. I was also inspired by Julie and Julia (the movie), but mainly it is because I will also have more time! You see, I don't plan to work fulltime while I am overseas. It will be a year filled with travel and overdosing my tastebuds with the culinary delights of Europe... But enough of the day dreaming and back to the moment.

The weekend past was Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day combined. So pigging out was inevitable...The weekend started when we had a family gathering for New Year Eve's Dinner with the extended family. It is always good to see the children so happy, especially when receiving ang pows! Sadly, I no longer qualify to receive any! The next day, my husband and I were invited to an Open House Lunch at a friend's. An Open House is a tradition in Malaysia during CNY where you would visit relatives and friends on the day, and you are welcomed into the home to have a meal or snacks and drinks. It was an awesome idea, and my friend went all out. There was a whole suckling pig, curry, yee sang etc. I had earlier planned to cook lobster noodles for dinner considering it was CNY and Valentine's Day and since we had no plans for dinner, I thought of attempting this dish for the very first time. When I first came to Melbourne, I was introduced to the beautiful world of Cantonese cooking. All of the Chinese Restaurants would have crab or lobster noodles on their specialties board. But, at last, it is quite expensive, so it is had only during special occasions.
So the plan went out the window as we were too full to eat such a rich meal. But since CNY last 15 days in total plus I have a lobster tail sitting in my fridge, I will (attempt to) make it for dinner tonight. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool, well done Jo Jo.

I will be your official taste-tester!

Kelvin said...

lobster noodles sound good...post up the recipe!

Jo Jo said...

its up! look it up

Unknown said...

well done Jo! a good start n you make me long to cook/ bake .....
when are you both leaving for UK?

Jo Jo said...

Hi ying, we'll be in london by early May if all things go smoothly! do come visit...