Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Roast (Gresingham) Duck


A friend recently told me that I had to try the Gressingham duck while I was in the UK. Apparently world famous (My ignorant self have never heard about it. How can I claim to be a foodie? But happy to bel learning something new everyday) So I was excited as anything to find one at Sainsbury (a local supermarket chain similar to Coles and Woolworths).

I decided to roast the whole duck and served it with some rice and stir fry beans. Our first home cooked meal in London (if you don't count the bacan and eggs we cooked in the morning). This duck was indeed delicous despite me not having some ingredients (ie honey). Also, trying out a different oven was a bit of a trial and error. Hence, the slightly charred skin.The flesh was alot more tender compared to the ones we have back home.

I butterflied the duck, and removed any excess fatty skin. Pour hot boiling water over the duck, and watch the skin tighten. Wipe dry with paper towel. Combine some oyster sauce with sugar and five spice powder. Rub mixture on the underside of the duck (not the skin). Prick the skin with a fork. Instead of honey, I made a thick sugar syrup by mixing one part sugar and one part water in a saucepan and simmer until a caramel forms. Brush it all over the skin.

Turn oven to fan forced at 220 degrees. Roast for 10 mins and turn oven down to 180 degrees (Watch carefully as to not burn the skin) Roast for 20mins for every 500g. Carve or chop into pieces and serve with whatever sides you like.

Cooking in London is going to be interesting. I feel like I'm missing a few limbs without all the kitchen tools that I take for granted. The Ikea knives are nothing like the Mundials I have at home...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're always welcome to come and cook in our kitchen!

Jo Jo said...

Be careful what you offer Cy! :)

Bernie said...

This duck was really tasty!