Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pan-Fried Salmon with Crushed Potatoes and Asparagus


I wanted to make mashed potatoes with this recipe actually. But guess what, there is no masher in this flat! I am going to have to be more adaptable than I expected. But this challenge will be fun... I should end up being more creative with my cooking right?

Anyway, this one is for my friend Sue Lyn who claims that cooking is too much of an effort and takes too long. Excuse me, but I do not think that 7 wicked wings from KFC is a suitable substitute for dinner! This took about 15 mins to cook (including prep time), not to mention that it is slightly healthier.

Pan-Fried Salmon with Crushed Potatoes and Asparagus
(serves 2)

2x 250g salmon fillets, skin on
5-6 baby potatoes, peeled and halved
1-2 bunches asparagus, trimmed and ends removed
2 tbsp mayonaise
chopped parsley/dried parsley flakes
salt and pepper
1 lemon, halved

Place potatoes in a pot of cold water, bring to boil and simmer until potatoes are cooked (about 10 mins). Drain away the water and place in a bowl. Crush potatoes lightly with a fork. Add mayo, parsley, salt and pepper with a squeeze of lemon. Stir to combine.

Heat a little oil in a pan. Add fish, skin side down and cook for 1-2 mins. Once skin is crisp, turn over and cook for another 2 mins. In the meantime, blanch asparagus in salted boiling water for 2-3 mins.

To plate, place crushed potatoes in the middle of the plate. Top with asparagus and fish. Season with salt and pepper and serve with halved lemon.

1 comment:

lowkster said...

Thanks tried this and it really tastes good although I substituted half the potato for mashed cauliflower.