Friday, February 19, 2010

Malaysian Style Butter Prawns



The thing that I remember most when I visit family and friends in Malaysia is the food! I would start most of my days by eating Kuching laksa (yes, Kuching people have laksa for breakfast), popiah (spring rolls but not deep fried) or handmade paus (like the char siu pau at Yum Cha but better). These delicacies are found in most food outlets but the locals will tell you where the best ones are located.

If we eat at a seafood restaurant, I cannot resist ordering butter prawns. I'm not sure who came up with this recipe, but it truly works! The spices and creamy sauce goes really well with crunchy succulent prawns. I can't seem to find a place in Melbourne that serves this dish. So if anyone knows, please tell me.

In the meantime, I have resorted to making it at home. This recipe is close but not close enough to the original! It will have to do.

Butter Prawn Malaysian-Style Recipe

500g tiger/banana prawns, deveined and shelled
1/2 cup plain flour
beer
Oil for deep frying

2 tbsp butter
185ml evaporated milk
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 sprigs curry leaves (remove from stem)
1/2 tbsp curry powder
1-2 red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
1 1/2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Heat frying oil.Dust prawns with some flour. In a bowl, place flour and add beer until you get a pouring cream consistency (my husband would gladly polish off any leftover beer). Coat prawns in batter and deep fry until golden.
Heat a wok and add butter. Add garlic, curry powder and chilli, fry until fragrant. Add evaporated milk and cook until milk evaporates and granules form. Add sugar, curry leaves and prawns. Stir quickly and place on serving dish.

2 comments:

Bernie said...

I am getting fat being the taste tester :(

Veronica said...

I can't find this dish in any Chinese restaurant in Melbourne either! not even those Malaysian restaurants.