Monday, March 1, 2010

Oyakodon (Chicken Rice Japanese Style)


A friend named Joanne requested this recipe. And since I've just had so much Japanese lately, why not just continue the trend? This is very home style cooking, quick and easy to whip up after work. I served it with Agedashi tofu (see related recipe) as I still had half a slab of tofu left from Sukiyaki night. This will be a detox meal for me and my hubby, as we have been such little piggies!

Oyakodon Recipe

steam rice for two
3/4 cup dashi ( mix 1 tsp dashi granules with 3/4 cup hot water)
1 tbsp sake
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp light soy sauce
200-300g chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
half an onion, sliced
couple of spring onions, chopped into little batons
2 eggs, stir to combine
nori flake to garnish
shichimi togarashi (spicy mix- optional) for topping

Combine the dashi, sake, mirin and soy in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add chicken and onion, and return to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 7 minutes. Skim surface off any scum.
Scatter spring onion over the top of the chicken mixture. Pour the egg over in circular motion but do not stir. Simply allow eggs to flow over the other ingredients. Cook for further 1-2 mins until eggs start to set. Turn heat off and cover, let rest for 3 mins.
Divide the hot rice into two bowls. Then evenly divide the chicken and egg mixture among the bowls. Sprinkle with nori (and shichimi togarashi). Serve hot.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Thanks for the recipe jo! I'm going to try it this week. I might use more than 2 eggs seeing how it looks like it doesn't really coat the top layer of chicken like how we had them in Japan. Smooth and satisfying,ever so slightly runny eggs is how I remember it to be. THANKS!!

Sudles said...

JJ. Thanks!!! You are to my cooking repertoire what 'queer eye' is to a daggy dresser. I made this, and although not as picturesque as your creation, it was relatively easy and definitely yummy. No more need for cookbooks!