Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Beef Lasagna


London summer is pretty sad... very windy and quite cold the last couple of days. I can only imagine how bad winter will be. Anyway, Bern's parents were visiting over the weekend. We went to watch Lion King the musical, which was fantastic. Definitely better than Avenue Q (a musical with puppets, with a very cynical and adult plot). I made beef lasagna on one of the many cold nights... I realise that it is actually very similar to the Moussaka recipe. I used the same meat sauce and bechamel sauce recipe and replaced the vegies with instant lasagna sheets.

Beef Lasagna Recipe (for the meat sauce and bechamel recipe, see related Moussaka Recipe)

One quantity meat sauce
One quantity bechamel sauce
grated parmesan
instant dry lasagna sheets

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Place some sauce at the bottom of a ceramic baking dish. Drizzle some bechamel on top followed by some cheese and then a layer of lasagna sheet. Repeat the process and  with the last layer, pour the rest of the bechamel over the top and generously top it with grated parmesan.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Serve with salad.

Before.....


After.....


We took Bern's parents to the Borough Market. The store where we normally get our foie gras pate was selling black truffles. As you can see, it is 32 pounds per 100g and the nuggets range between 30g to 150g. That means it is 320 pounds per kg (or around AUD 650 per kg). Expensive, but not as expensive as the truffles sold by Simon Johnsons Grocers in Melbourne (I was told I need to order it a week before hand, and the cost was AUD 1000-1500 per kg- depending on the quality. Never got around to getting it, could not afford it!) One of these days, I'm going to have to just buy one and see what the fuss is all about. Some nuggets were about 7 pounds each.


A jar of black gold... I took a sniff- a good musty smell?!!

Also, thanks to Doreen (and the rest of you) for your ongoing support of this blog of mine. Really appreciate
 your comments and feedback. Glad to know your banoffee pie was a success. Definitely reduce the amount of toffee if you like it to be less sweet. I also added more bananas the next time I made it and topped it with more cream and chocolate!

I really need to publish more post, I am getting lazy! :) Also, I am missing home HEAPS! Bern can attest to that...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come home if you're homesick! No point suffering. We'll look after u. G,L&V

Bernie said...

But who will look after me?