Monday, February 15, 2010

Cantonese Style Lobster Noodles





Day 2 of CNY. As I mentioned before, I will be cooking lobster noodle for dinner tonight. I took the uncooked lobster tail out of my fridge. It was bought from a shop in Box Hill Central awhile ago. Frozen without the head, it was advertised at $79 dollars a kilo. This tail was roughly $35 dollars (so that works out to be about 400g). With a cleaver, I chopped the lobster down its middle and then chop it further into smaller pieces. I guess that was the hardest part of the process.

How did it turn out? My hubby liked it and so did I. He said I should use fresh lobster next time (I am not game to kill live lobsters unlike Julie Powell so I might just have to stick with the frozen). The flesh was slightly firmer than how it is served in restaurants, and my noodles were not as salty or as oily (which is probably better I guess!) Overall, I was pleased with how it turn out. So have a go, and let me know what you think...


Lobster Noodles
serves two (or one hungry husband)

Ingredients:
400g uncooked lobster
corn flour for dusting
3cm ginger julienned
half a handful of spring onions
half a handful of coriander
Gold Star Egg Noodles (half packet/2 bundles)
oil for deep frying

Sauce
2tbsp oyster sauce
1tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp Shao Xing wine
1tbsp XO sauce (optional)
1/2 tbsp Guilin chili Sauce (optional)
(mix all the above in a bowl)
3/4 cup chicken stock/water
2 tsp corn flour mix with little water
Blanch egg noodles in boiling water for 1-2 mins. Remove and rinse in cold water. Drain and mix in two tbsp oil (to prevent it from sticking). Place noodles on a seving dish.
Coat lobster lightly in cornflour. Deep fry for 30 secs or until shell turns pink. Remove from oil.
In a wok, Heat two tbsp oil, fry ginger until fragrant. Add lobster tail and spring onions and stir. Add the sauce mixture and chicken stock. Simmer for one minute and then add the corn flour to thicken the sauce. Season with salt to taste.
Spoon the sauce and lobster onto the noodles. Top with coriander.
Serve immediately.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks so tempting and delicious. If you want to taste better add MSG. Will be yr taster next time.

Bernie said...

It was gooood!

cathr said...

My husband saw the recipe blog and thought it looked great. I guess that means I will be cooking it soon. I must say it looks very tempting.

Anonymous said...

Belinda: This looks like a photo of a dish on a chinese resturant board! oooooh yum!