Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Loukomades (Greek Doughnuts)



This month's issue of the Gourmet Traveller is feauturing all things Greek. I have never been to Greece, so it would definitely be in the top ten places to visit on this journey of ours. I'm picturing sun and sand, lazy afternoons and lots of seafood and olives. Ahhhh.... off to dreamland.











Anyways, as you would know, I have a sweet tooth. Other than chocolate, I also love fried doughnuts (or anything fried for that matter... and that reminds me of a restaurant called Hajime, but that is for another blog! Stop digressing Jo Jo). It seems like every culture has its own version of a fried dough. Churros are my favourite but looks a little tricky to make (especially getting the shape and pattern right). Loukomades is the Greek version, and it looks alot more simple, and the name sounds so exotic! My Greek neighbour Giorgia would be so proud of me.....

This recipe is also good for my non-dairy eating readers.

Loukomades Recipe

7g yeast
1 1/2 cup plain flour, sieved
250 ml warm water
1 tsp sugar
a pinch of salt
Vegetable oil for deep frying

Combine yeast and warm water in a large bowl, stir to combine and the add a few tbsp of flour and sugar. Stir and set aside for 10 mins or until foamy. Then add the rest of the flour and salt, and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and elastic. Cover and set aside until double in size (1-1 1/2 hrs).
Heat veg oil in deep fryer. Spoon tblsp of batter in oil and turn occasionally till golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
Dust with sugar and cinnamon.

Or like the GT issue, serve drizzled with honey, sprinkle with thyme and accompanied by juicy figs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Belinda: mmmm these were really yummy. nice and crunchy on the outside and good doughy texture in the middle. the honey was a perfect match and the figs were so good - gave the dish a nice light pick up. Too spoilt.

Bernie said...

These were a little heavy for me, but then again I am not a huge fan of fried desserts!