Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Matsumoto

Caught up with an ex-colleague/girlfriend the other night for a casual dinner.  Everyone is so busy nowadays, and it is always so hard to organise catch up especially if you are in the medical field because of weird hours and rosters.

Matsumoto Japanese Restaurant is in Brunswick, and I have been to this place since it was open, which was when I was halfway through uni. I use to live around the corner from this restaurant, so that was very handy. Matsumoto has a sister restaurant in Fairfield called Matsuya (I think).

I have my suspicions that Matsumoto is run by Chinese people, but I'm not so sure. Anyway, the food is pretty decent, but over the last year, the prices have gone up by a fair bit, but still reasonable.

There is nothing too out-there or cutting-edge, the menu is relatively safe, but it is done quite well. We had a deluxe sushi sashimi boat and little entrees  to share. This place is quite popular now, seeing that it is pretty packed for a Monday night.

Okonomiyaki (Japanese Seafood and Vegetable Pancake served with a sweet sauce and mayonaise, topped with bonito flakes







Gyutan (grilled ox tongue) a must-try!







Ika Geso Age (tempura battered squid tentacles with sweet chili)








Gyoza (pan-fried pork and cabbage dumplings)






Black sesame ice-cream, not the best I've had.

No comments: