Sunday, February 21, 2010

Soft Centred Choc Puddings



For all chocolate lovers, do not go past this recipe. If you are anything like me, then you could not possibly resist anything with chocolate in it. We chocolate lovers are blissfully happy once we consume chocolate and are constantly in denial that too much can be bad for you.



I always say that chocolate has a lot of antioxidants. Also, I have a fridge magnet that confirms this denial (see photo). I feel oblige to share this recipe with all chocolate lovers because I feel that it is my duty as a chocoholic.I assure you that this chocolate pudding will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.



This recipe is from Donna Hay. And if you live in Australia, Donna HaY to Australia is like Martha Stewart to USA (minus the conviction and jail time). I saw it in the Sunday Age, tried it and never looked back. I have served it plenty of times during dinner parties and shared this recipes with family and friends. Make sure you serve it with a good dollop of vanilla ice cream.In summer, top it with lots of berries.


Soft Centred Choc Puddings (by Donna Hay from the Sunday Age)

200g dark chocolate (get a good quality one, more than 60% cocoa mass- expensive but worth it)
120g butter
3 eggs
2 yolks
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
sifted cocoa powder for dusting



Place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Place the eggs, egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for 3-4 mins or until fluffy and pale. gently fold through the flour, add chocolate mixture, and spoon into six 1 cup capacity lightly greased muffin tins. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until centre is cooked but still slightly soft. allow to stand for 5 mins. Turn out onto wirwe rack. Place on plates and dust with cocoa powder. Serves 6.

Hints: I use ceramic ramekins and find that I have to bake it for longer (about 15 mins)
The only tricky bit is that if it is undercooked, it will collapse if you tip it out of the ramekin. To avoid this, just serve it in the ramekin.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

looks beautiful jo - i can just imagine the chocolate oozing out from the centre... :D

Bernie said...

This is probably one of Jo's best desserts, along with her sticky date pudding, which I am sure she will post about later on.

The home made berry sauce was perfect with the pud.

Anonymous said...

Belinda: Agree, one of Jo's best dessert specialties. It was one of the first desserts I have been lucky to have sampled by Jo. I tried this recipe after I first had it. Took me a couple of times to get the timing right and gauge my oven temp so that the middle remained oozy and not overcooked. I can imagine the berry sauce would be a refrehsing compliment to the richness of the pudding. Good idea.

Sudles said...

How can I forget? When we first met, I remember you used to bring this to work to feed your impoverished colleagues! These puddings sealed the deal on our friendship (hehe!).
Anyway... I've another great CHOCOLAT quote:
"Forget love. I'd rather fall in chocolate.". Super eh??
Again ... you rock...

Gastrology said...

Thanks for making this on Saturday night, JoJo! Will definitely give it a go during my Christmas break! :)