Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mint and Yogurt Soup with grilled Lamb Kofta



My apologies for not posting that frequently of late. The excuse that I'm giving is that I've been so busy planning trips and holidays (it actually takes up alot of time, especially if you want to look for good flight deals, decent hotels etc) but also I've been a little lazy. I still have been cooking and baking but not putting it on post as much as I should. Time to give myself a kick up the bum...

Just before we left for London, we had dinner at Maha and I remember this beautiful soup that we had. This is actually Shane Delia's original recipe which was on the Gourmet Traveller Magazine issue just before I left.I know it is summer, but London is known for cool and rainy weather most of the time, so it is appropriate.Make sure you serve the lamb with the soup, or it would not be the same. I made my own chili oil by frying a few sliced chillies in oil and left it to infuse.

Mint and Yogurt Soup with grilled Lamb Kofta Recipe

500ml chicken stock
100g rice, rinsed
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
20g plain flour
800g greek style yogurt
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp dried mint
thinly slice mint to serve

chili oil to drizzle

Lamb kofta ingredient:

500g lamb mince
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 1/2  tbsp coarsely chopped flat leave parsley
salt and pepper
pinch of chili powder

For lamb kofta, mix all the above and form into 8 balls. When ready, place on skewer and grill over high heat. Cooked until golden and cooked through.

Meanwhile combine chicken stock and 1 litre water in large saucepan and bring to simmer. Add rice and cook until tender. Combine onion and oil in seperate saucepan and saute over medium heat until tender. Combine flour and 100ml water, whisk to dissolve, add yogurt and yolk , mix to combine. Whisk into rice mixture with fried onion and dried mint. Season to taste and bring to simmer, stirring until flour is cooked and soup is slightly thickened.
Served with sliced mint, and lamb kofta on the side.

No comments: