Monday, April 5, 2010

Giorgia and Tony's Easter Lunch


I think I've mentioned my Greek (ex)neighbours before. They really know how to throw a party. Starters of marinated octopus, prawns, cheese and smoke salmon platter, plus grilled lamb cutlets were served when people started arriving.

But the star of the meal was definitely the whole lamb on the spit. The lamb had been roasting for 4 hrs prior before the juicy and tender flesh was carved. Giorgia had about 12 different side dishes to accompany the meat. Okra stew (my favourite), grilled eggplants, roast potatoes, coleslaw and three cheese zucchini to name a few.

And how can I forget the spanakopita (spinach and feta with filo pastry). That was also served as a starter. One thing great about spanakopita is that it taste just as good cold if not better than fresh out of the oven. The amount of effort put into all that cooking must have been tremendous.


And to top it off, Giorgia made a huge tray of galaktoboureko (Greek semolina custard dessert) for dessert. I knew I shouldn't have worn jeans, a Moo Moo dress would have been better. By the time we left, I have eaten enough to last me till dinner the next day. Not to mention that I had Eggs Florentine at Rathdowne Food Store for breakfast as well. But I did have dinner, as I could not resist the BBQ salmon at a friend's housewarming, which was cooked to perfection. Nicely charred on the outside but pink in the middle. I refrained from having dessert though....

1 comment:

zerry ht said...

I really liked this awesome Easter lunch. I was invited to my best friend’s Easter party that she threw at venue New York. It was so good to be there and enjoy the day with other friends. She arranged luscious food that just made my day.