Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Roast Rib Eye with Pan-Fried Potatoes and Sauteed Peas


Our visas arrived in the mail today. Yippie! One less thing to worry about. So far, things are going to plan. To be honest, this constant organising and planning is getting quite exhausting. I think I might call it a night after I post this blog. Also, I am so glad we have a long weekend coming up due to Easter.

Some days I crave a juicy piece of steak (especially when I'm tired), and tonight was one of those days. It must be my body telling me I'm anaemic. As though the steak wasn't enough, I added spinach to my peas to maximise the iron intake. I used a small rib eye roast, which had two points, just enough for 2.

Roast Rib Eye with Pan-Fried Potatoes and Sauteed Peas Recipe

800g rib eye
2 sprigs rosemary, stem removed, chopped finely
salt and pepper
handful peas
handful frozen spinach (you can use fresh if you like)
one clove garlic, chopped
2 desiree potatoes, peeled and sliced thickly
small knob butter

red wine sauce, optional (see Herbed Crusted Lamb for recipe)

Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
Pat dry beef with absorbent paper. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roll the beef with finely chopped rosemary until coated. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
Place in oven for 15 mins. Reduce heat to 200 degrees and roast for further 35 mins for medium rare.
In the meantime, parboil the potatoes in boiling water for 5 mins. Drain.
Add butter to pan, add potatoes to pan fry. Remove from pan when potatoes are cooked through and brown on the edges.
In the same pan add al little more butter. Add the garlic to pan. When slightly brown, add peas and spinach. Stir until combined and wilted (roughly 2 mins).
Place potatoes and veg on a plate. Top with sliced roast.
Serve with red wine sauce (optional).

Hint: Rest beef for 10 mins after it is out of the oven.

1 comment:

Jo Jo said...

I forgot to mention that I seasoned the potatoes and pea/spinach mixture with salt and pepper when it was cooking in the pan. Otherwise very bland! I need to sleep....