Sunday, April 25, 2010

Swiss Roll


I am going to miss my KitchenAid mixer when I leave. So I thought I better make good use of it! Swiss Rolls are very popular in Asia and interestingly enough, it doest not originate from Switzerland. I think it is of English origin. I do not have a Swiss pan so I just used a large roasting tray. The sponge is beautifully light and smooth, and also not extremely sweet. Feel free to use whatever spread you like. I made two rolls, one chocolate, and the other the original recipe.

Swiss Roll Recipe

Ingredient A:
4 egg white
80 g icing sugar

Ingredient B:
4 egg yolks
40ml milk
40 ml vegetable/canola oil
80g plain flour, sifted
40g icing sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt

Raspberry or blueberry jam
Whipped cream

Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius. Grease and line a swiss roll pan.
Mix all ingredient B in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
Whip egg whites and gradually add sugar until very stiff.
Fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into B, thoroughly combine. Gently fold in the rest of the egg white mixture.
Pour into prepared pan and smooth it out evenly.
Bake in oven for 20 mins. Once out of the oven, remove from pan immediately.

To assemble, spread jam followed by cream. Roll from the short end. Trim off the edges and slice to serve.

Note: To make a chocolate Swiss Roll, substitute 40g of the plain flour with 40g of cocoa powder
Hint: Make sure you whip your egg white until VERY stiff.

For pandan flavoured Swiss Roll, add 1 tsp of pandan paste to Ingredient B. I used plain cream for the filling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bel: thanks jo for the delicious swiss rolls. i bought them along to dinner that night to share with fam and they LOVED IT! cindy saw the plate and said, 'hey i saw them on jo's blog today'. lucky she got to taste test too! :) definitely a great sponge recipe