Thursday, February 18, 2010

Grilled Miso Salmon


Salmon is one of my favourite fish to eat. It has a firm flesh, beautiful pink colour and taste fantastic. I serve it on a weekly basis, and I use this recipe all the time because it is quick and easy. Once you make the sauce (which is quite a large quantity), making this dish is quicker than buying takeaway and probably healthier. The sauce can be stored in the fridge for 3 months and flavour improves with time as well.



This recipe is adapted from Nobu West cookbook (by Nobu Matsuhisa -founder of Nobu restaurants and Mark Edwards) which I ordered from Amazon during my craze for all things Japanese.A favourite haunt of mine use to be the Made In Japan Store (South Melbourne, Aus) which sells plates, bowls, kitchenware and furniture from Japan.

Saikyo Miso (Miso sauce) Recipe

6 1/2 Tbsp sake
6 1/2 tbsp mirin
3/4 cup sugar
280g white miso

Place sake (Japanese rice wine) and mirin (sweet Japanese wine) in a saucepan and bring to boil. Add sugar and stir until it dissolves. Then add miso paste bit by bit. Make sure the heat is not too high or the sauce might burn. Remove from heat after adding all the miso and leave to cool. Push through strainer to remove lumps. Place in air tight container and refigerate.

I use salmon fillets with skin on and I cut them into smaller pieces so they cook more evenly. Marinate the fillets by coating a thin layer of sauce on all sides for 15 minutes. Place the fillets skin side up in a hot grill (around 220 degrees) and constantly check to make sure it does not burn. I know it is done when the skin is slightly charred. I like my salmon pink in the middle so I don't grill it for too long.

You can also serve some of the sauce straight from the fridge with the fish. If it is too thick, add a little hot water to dilute. Great recipe for midweek dinners and you don't have to go to Nobu to have it! Also great with cod fish.

No comments: