Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Melbourne Food and Wine Festival


Yay! Found an apartment, which is a converted brewhouse on the Thames river. So I'm pretty tired from staying up quite late. The problem with doing this all before bedtime is that the overactive mind does not settle very well to sleep. My mind anyway, cos I think hubby was out like a light the moment the deal was done. I, on the otherhand was tossing and turning, and I was having all sorts of weird dreams including getting a call telling me that a mistake has been made and the property has been let! No such thing occured when I woke up. Checked my email, and the confirmation was still there. Phew!

Anyway, a bunch of us went up to the Yarra Valley Conference Centre on the weekend to have lunch. This is part of the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival and this event was was held by 4 different wineries in the region, each featuring 3 of their wines. Prior to this event, we have been drinking Dixons Creek Quatrain (4 types of Bordeaux style grapes- can't remember which one! G- could you please put it in the comment box?) on quite a regular basis, and Dixon Creek was one of the wineries involved in this event.

Overall it was quite a pleasant afternoon. We were served canapes of goat cheese and leek tart and mushroom nori rolls. Entree was a grilled salmon with baked semolina gnocchi with butter and caviar sauce ( which, in my opinion, the best dish of the day). Main was an alternate of a veal ragu pie and crusted lamb with mash. Dessert was a platter of cheese and dried fruit. It contain a Yarra Valley Chevre, Cheddar and and a Blue Vein. The chevre was really nice, which is one that I would be looking out for on my next trip to the deli.

3 comments:

Bernie said...

Jo, actually the pie was venison I believe. A little too salty I thought but the lamb was fine. I could tell you what is in the quatrain but G might get upset if I steal his thunder!

Anonymous said...

If you can tell me what is in it without looking it up, I will give you $20 (which I owe you anyway for the raffle). Clue: pinot noir is NOT in it

PS congrats on finding the apartment!

Bernie said...

Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Ha, I am now a rich man!

But you won't believe me if I told you I didn't look it up I'm sure!