Monday, July 5, 2010

Market Day, Paris


This will be the last blog about France. If this trip is anything to go by, we are definitely looking forward to the rest of our travels. On our last day, we were tossing up between going to Versailes (another outskirt place with a palace) or just staying in Paris. We opted for the latter as we felt that we had seen enough castles for the moment. So we went to a nearby market which was mostly a fresh food market.



Ready prepared Escargots



I think those are flounders




Then we had lunch...guess what we had? Baguette sandwiches of course! And dessert was never missed... Because it is summer, berries are everywhere. And also at its best quality too... .
After lunch, we wondered what we would do and decided to climb to the top of the Eiffel. You have the option of taking the lift or walk up the stairs. I was pretty sore (from all that cycling and walking) but B, the athelete, was keen to walk. So I thought I better pack in some energy (in the form of something sweet) before the climb. Geez, I'm always making excuses for having sweet things. Oh well, I should just admit that I have a sweet tooth and there is nothing I can do about it!

So walking by one of the thousands of pattiseries in Paris, I decided on a fruit charlotte that is topped with a macaroon. I also love how they package their products. This was the most interesting. The lady serving me artfully folded a piece of paper around the cake into a cone shape -so simple yet it just look so beautiful.


Again, when at the Eiffel, there were further attempts by cons trying to extort money. They would try and tie a string around your finger to show you a trick and then extort money from you. It is best just to say NO from the start. Also, keep a close eye on your pockets and bags. (Thanks for reminding me, DQ).



These are a couple of views from the tower....


Random fact: The steel structure of The Statue of Liberty is smilar to the steel structure of the Eiffel. It was given to the USA by France as a gift when the statue was built.


On the last night, we had dinner at La Galouise, a restaurant not far from our hotel. The tables outside were fully booked but we were able to get a table inside. The interior was actually really beautiful, so we did not mind. It was too hot outside at the time anyway...

Entree

Semi boiled egg with mustard sauce                                                          Pickled mackerel


More baguette and yummy French butter


A really good bottle of Bordeaux wine

Beef boutguignon                                                                       Stewed pork belly (heavenly!)


A large chocolate mousse- TO SHARE! Been to much of a piggy all day..

All good things must come to an end! Back to London we went, and I was already thinking of  planning the next trip. Italia, here we come!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

DQ: wow, what a trip! i've got to get some tips from you on how to travel as you've really done it in exquisite style! hope to see some macaroons in your blog sometime:) (although you may need to wait til you're re-united with your kitchen aid!)

Anonymous said...

G: Been there, done that, including the climb would you believe. You're making us nostaligic. Hey they had macaroons on masterchef last night - please learn how to cook them and send some to me-thanks!

Jo Jo said...

I LOVE Macaroons! If I was left on a deserted island, I would wish for MaCaroonS. My mum is coming soon and I'm getting her to bring over her mini Kenwood so I can bake. Will have to wait till then... already scouting for a good recipe. Picked up a French magazine at a restaurant, and i'm using google translate to help me figure out the words. I am so sad, HA HA

Wendy Wong said...

wow. how do u guys eat so much good food and yet not put on weight! am going to try some of ur recipes soon! :) great holiday pics btw

Anonymous said...

Doreen: in the offchance you read this, are you the Wendy Wong I went to med school with? (highly unlikely but thought I'd give it a go anyway)

Jo Jo said...

Hey DQ, Wendy is a friend I went to school with. She did not do med, but she lives in Perth.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jo! I thought I'd better check as it's a very small world! DQ