Sunday, October 31, 2010

Vanessa's First Birthday


My visit back to Melbourne has really been productive and fun-filled, despite the MC experience being short lived as expected. I probably did not have the je na sais quoi or the X factor to be on the show. That's okay, because I don't think I could have handled the time pressure in the kitchen. This experience has not deterred me from my love of all things food related. I am also very happy to be reunited with my KitchenAid which has been put to good use this last few days.

Anyway, I just had a fabulous day helping out close friends with their daugther's birthday party. Vanessa turned one and she is soooo adorable! Aunty Jo Jo made a whole heap of cupcakes and also her birthday cake to help her celebrate this wonderful day.  Her cake (pictured above) is a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting topped with a sugared deco ( I bought that from a cake deco shop in the city). The cupcakes below the cake were also red velvet with the same frosting topped with caocaus and princess-themed flags.


Her mum and I also made a trio of starters. Smoked salmon, dill and cream cheese on crackers followed by tuna and mayo on cucumber. The last was chorizo and egg in vol au vent cases, but I must have missed taking a photo of these.



Tuna and cucumber starters


These are the 3 batches of cupcakes- pink ones were strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Yellow ones were lemon cupcakes, and the white ones were red velvet. Definitely a hit with little people.
I will post the recipes up when I have a bit more time...

Happy birthday Vanessa!



5 comments:

Bernie said...

Not hard to see why I married this woman!

Joanne said...

My GOODNESS!!! These look sensational jo!! The cake looks divine and the cupcakes are so pretty!!

If you told me you catered the canapes, I would have believed you!! You should get your act together and start some sort of catering or foodie business!


xx

Joanne said...

Is that siew yuk I see in the background of the 2nd photo? :P

Anonymous said...

DQ: thank you for all the love and effort you put into our dear Vanessa's birthday, Jo! I don't think I emphasized enough just how impressive it all was. It was lovely to catch up with you and sorry I didn't get to see you again during your visit.. We have been very lucky to have u back in Melbourne!
PS that's my dad's siew yuk in the background- go dad! :)
PPS 3 days after the party I thought to myself 'gee I could really go one of Jo's cupcakes right now' when we realized we had left the ones we took home from the party in the back seat of the car! So we tried one and it still tasted good so we finished them all! Still good after >3days- that must be saying something!

Jo Jo said...

Hey Jo and DQ- making the cupcakes were alot of fun! I'm sad to be leaving Melbourne soon.. the weather is sooo lovely! But I'll see my hubby soon YAY