Friday, July 23, 2010

Banana Cake -Disaster!


Where do I begin? I had a few ripe bananas lying around so I thought I would attempt baking a cake, and I found this recipe on another blog that had so many good reviews that it could not possibly go wrong, right?Wrong....!!!!!! It looks alright, but tasted only so so. The cake is moist, but too dense for my liking and the topping was soooo sweet, I had to scrape it off. This is coming from a sweet tooth. Plus, I thought the cake batter recipe had too much sugar so I even reduced it by 150g. It was still far too sweet after, pretty much diabetic- inducing. And the cream cheese topping recipe was so runny.... Needless to say, I was pretty upset. AAArrrggghHHhh.... I feel like I have lost my cooking mojo. This does not bode well for today, as I was thinking of attempting to make chocolate macarons, Paris style. I'm not sure if I want to anymore....

I'm not even going to bother posting the recipe... and look at the mess I had to clean up. NOT HAPPY.


If someone has a good and reliable recipe, can you please share it with me? Dying to make a good banana cake...HELP! HELP! HELP!


Miss my kitchen back home!!! My Kitchen Aids....

6 comments:

Bernie said...

I quite liked this cake actually!

Unknown said...

I have a great receipe off the Stephanie Alexander cookbook. It works every time for me and its easy. Hold on - I'll get my book for you and help you out...
125g soften unsalted butter
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe banana
few drops vanila
250g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
0.5 tsp salt
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
0.5 tsp ground allspice
0.5 cup buttermilk

Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in eggs and banana and vanila. Sift in dry ingredients, alternate with buttermilk. Bake for hour at 180C.

Hope it works for you. Kay have to go and walk Sally now!

Jo Jo said...

Hi Why! Thanks for the recipe... will definitely try it out... I left all my cookbooks behind, hence the need to rely on the internet for instant recipes!

Katia said...

Hey jo jo,
here's a simple and really tasty banana cake recipe that I got off my neighbour. It works every time and only uses one mixing bowl and a plate :).

Banana Loaf:
1 cup caster sugar
125g butter
2 eggs
2 large ripe bananas, mashed well
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarb soda

1. Gradually add sugar to butter, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat until creamy.

2. Add unbeaten eggs, lemon juice and mashed bananas. Beat to blend thoroughly.

3. Sift the flour and bicarb soda into a separate bowl and add to the banana mixture alternately with the milk (I usually do 1/3 at a time).

4. Spoon the mixture into a loaf tin which has been greased well. (Tin size I usually use is 23x12.5cm) Bake in moderate oven (180) for approx 1 hr.


Enjoy. Thank you for posting on your blog, I really enjoy reading it :)

Katia
(www.katiasfoodblog.blogspot.com)

Jo Jo said...

Hi Katia, thanks for the recipe. Now I have two to try out. I'm glad you like my blog, I have been on yours too since your dad mentioned you started one. Glad to have another foodie blogger online!

Jason said...

lol joanna! the kitchen looks pretty tidy still by my standards after the so called "mess". btw tried the sweet chilli chicken taste good. could be better cos was bit in a rush doing it. will be visiting ur blog more often to still some recipes!